39th annual Luminaria
Riverside Avondale Preservation hosts the 39th annual Luminaria on December 10, 2023 throughout the Riverside and Avondale neighborhoods. Residents can purchase their kits and Starter Packs today, with proceeds from each sale going towards the distribution of free candles, bags and sand to all local parks, greenways and medians, churches, and public spaces.
Luminaria kit pickup days will be held on December 9-10 from 10am to 4pm at the RAP Office OR we will deliver Starter Packs (with delivery) to your doorstep the week of the event if purchased before December 3, 2023.
Featured Artist, Myra Oh
Congrats to this year’s Featured Artist, Myra Oh. The artwork for the 39th annual Luminaria was selected by the RAP Luminaria Committee from more than 10 excellent entries by local artists. Myra Oh is an artist, tattooer, small business owner and Avondale resident whose unique style is seen in the featured art. You can purchase a signed poster, magnet, or keepsake tote bag with Oh’s design where you buy your kits.
If you are the organizer of a park, greenway, median, church, or public space and you haven’t heard from us, email us to connect. Volunteers are coordinating the distribution of 5,000+ bags and candles and we want to provide pickup details to each person as early as possible. Thank you to Diamond Deazle and Jonathan Crocker for helping coordinate!
First Friday at the Buckland House!
December 1, 5-7pm, RAP Office 2623 Herschel St.
Join us for light snacks, drinks, and KIT FOLDING! Mingle with friends and neighbors at the Historic Buckland House. We'll have plenty of holiday cheer, cookies, drinks and music as we get ready for Luminaria. Luminaria is a special time of year where the whole neighborhood illuminates and showcases the community pride and dedication!
Want to help fold kits?
Community Service Hours Available, email Allegra for details or to sign up!
- Riverside Arts Market (10am-3pm) 11/11, 11/18, 11/25, 12/2
- Plush N’ Prana (12-6pm) 11/18
- Amplified Avondale (6-9pm) 11/24
- Buckland House First Friday (5-7pm) 12/1
- Christmas in Avondale (6-9pm) 12/2
Luminaria Activities around the Neighborhood!
Find out where much of the fun Luminaria events activities are taking place around the neighborhood – or, look for The Resident December issue where a guide and full page map will be included. Activities include:
- RAP Headquarters – pickup or purchase your kits Dec 9-10, 10-4pm
- Peace Memorial Rose Garden Park - Walk the magical labyrinth, musical performances, hot chocolate/coffee food truck
- Riverside Church at Park & King – Open sanctuary, Christmas music from organist, worship ministry
- Garden Club & Go Tuk’n – Luminaria festivities & ticketed tours
- Riverside Ave. Christian Church – Live nativity and concerts
- Grace Church of Avondale – Live nativity, Christmas carols, cookies and coffee on the front steps of the church
- Riverside Park Unites Methodist - Navy Band Southeast public concert
- St. Pauls Catholic Church - candle-lit Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament
- Church of Good Shepherd - UNF Cozy Choral Concert 5pm
- Iguana on Park - Perfect spot for watching the magic, tasty food and drinks
- Biscottis - Book your Luminaria dinner reservation
- PeddlePub - Luminaria mobile pub bike tour, 5:30
- Memorial Park - Food trucks & fire trucks, train for kids, Santa & Mrs. Claus, Popcorn & Cotton Candy, Stiltwalker
- ZenCog Luminaria bike ride – meeting at the FSCJ Kent Campus at 5:30