Historic Parks

Yacht Basin Park (Mom’s Park)

2941 St. Johns Ave.

Water View

Located at 2941 St Johns Avenue in Riverside/Avondale on the west bank of Willow Branch Creek as it enters the St. Johns River, this .65 acre Park has quite the history.

The City purchased the property in 1921. Jacksonville’s oldest social organization, the Florida Yacht Club (established in 1877) resided adjacent to the site from 1907 until 1928. Eventually the City’s Water Services Division (taken over by JEA in 1997) placed a pump station at the site, and JEA renovated the Park in 2001 with landscaping, lighting, and the construction of a gazebo and a brick-paved plaza and walkway.

In 2002, City Councilman Jim Overton allocated money from his bond account for the creation of a bronze statue in memory of former Mayor Ed Austin’s wife. Following the completion of the bronze sculpture, “Mom’s Statue” in 2003, it was decided that it would be placed outside of the Florida Times Union Performing Arts Center. A dedication plaque, which is titled “Mom’s Park,” was installed at the Park in 2004.

The Park’s gazebo interior was completed in 2012, reflecting a local flora and fauna mosaic design (artist, Kate Garcia Rouh.) In 2019, the City completed repairs (brick walkways, light repair, sprinkler repair).

Today, dedicated volunteers work to keep the Park in pristine condition while reporting needs of the Park to the City as needed.  With its immense live oak tree canopies, the Park regularly hosts weddings, photography shoots, yoga gatherings, and overall, a quiet respite for visitors.


Become a member to begin receiving our regular newsletter with upcoming events, road closures and important neighborhood update. You don’t have to live in our neighborhood to support our work!