2821 Riverside Avenue

2821 Riverside Avenue

Date: 1913
Builder: N. L. Snelson

Lucius T. Smith, a real estate developer, was the first owner of this house. Although its architect is unknown, the overall design was obviously influenced by Klutho’s George W. Clark Residence at 2059 Riverside Avenue (built in 1911 and now demolished). Smith’s house originally had a red brick first story, like the garage in the rear, which further emphasized the horizontal flow of the exterior. In 1946 the house was converted to an osteopathic hospital, and a highly unsympathetic addition was added to cover much of the front of the house. Thirty years later it was dramatically restored to become a residence again, but the brick of the lower story could not be salvaged. The identity of the architect of this house has never been officially documented. However, there are clues that it was designed by Klutho’s apprentices, Earl Mark and Leeroy Sheftall, who played a major role in designing the George Clark residence. Another interesting hint is that Snelson, the contractor for this house, had an office in the St. James Building next door to architect Klutho at the time this residence was built. 


Become a member to begin receiving our regular newsletter with upcoming events, road closures and important neighborhood update. You don’t have to live in our neighborhood to support our work!