Boone Park History Continued
In 1937, the familiar “little house” on site was constructed for use by the Girl Scouts; the first tennis courts were built prior to 1946.
After the tennis clubhouse opened in 1950, the Park hosted the City’s both competitive and public tennis tournaments for decades.
Riverside Avondale Preservation (RAP) has worked extensively for improvements at the park in recent decades. Two of its sponsored committees (for the North and South portions of the Park respectively), led by Doris Keith and Richard Skinner, oversaw major renovations between 1997 and 2003, with substantial funding and assistance provided by City Councilman Jim Overton and the Department of Parks & Recreation.
In 2016, a public/private partnership between the Parks Department, City Councilman Jim Love and Friends of Jacksonville Parks led to a full playground renovation on the south end with a goal of attracting multigenerational visitors to play and exercise.
As one of the city’s largest parks, Boone Park is enhanced by dedicated neighborhood volunteers who host annual tree planting and clean up events.